May 10, 2014

Moravian Bell Beaker in context

Bell Beaker Blogger mentions this week a lecture presentation on the Hostice I burial site of Moravia which I find quite interesting because it helps to contextualize the Bell Beaker phenomenon of that area.

Matějíčková, A. - Dvořák, P. 2014: Bell Beaker Culture in Moravia: 30 questions, 30 answers, 30 pieces of evidence. Based on the burial ground Hoštice-I. Beaker Days on Danube 2014. Bratislava and Vienna. (Lecture) → available at academia.edu

It's quite worth taking a look but, besides that, what I did was to create a synthetic map of the wider Eastern or Danubian Bell Beaker "province" and its relations with the other "provinces" of this cultural phenomenon of the Late Chalcolithic which I want to share here:

Red shaded area: Eastern or Danubian BB region per the main source
Slash lines: approx. extension of other Bell Beaker regions
Arrows: material relationships of Hostice I with regions other than the Danubian one (amber excepted)
Orange stars: sources of amber found in Hostice I
Black stars: main urban centers with Bell Beaker
Grey star: Amesbury/Stonehenge (non-urban center)


As reference for the wider context I used (mostly) the following "tutorial" source: Bell beakers from west to east (CONSEQUENCES OF AGRICULTURE, 5000-2000 B.C.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, be reasonably respectful when making comments. I do not tolerate in particular sexism, racism nor homophobia. Personal attacks, manipulation and trolling are also very much unwelcome here.The author reserves the right to delete any abusive comment.

Preliminary comment moderation is... ON (your comment may take some time, maybe days or weeks to appear).